- Talk with the U4C recruitment staff when they are on your campus to share your interest!
- Meet with U4C Faculty Representative at your school to go over the academic advising plan and declare Urban Studies as your major or minor.
- Submit application, application questions and deposit. Submit your U4C application online then mail your application questions and deposit to U4C. The application deposit is non-refundable, but will be applied to your housing costs once you start the program. Checks can be made out to "U4C". Read below for more details on the application deposit deadlines and amounts.
The application questions are a way for us to start getting to know you. There are no right or wrong answers. We are looking for thoughtful responses to the following questions in no more than 50 words per question:
Please let us know how you heard of the program.
How did you decide to participate in U4C?
Why are you interested in the U4C program?
What past studies or experiences have prepared you for the program?
What concerns do you have about the program?
What do you hope to accomplish or experience while you are in the U4C program?
- Send completed application questions and deposit to:
U4C/Attn: Andrea Scharmer
1901 Portland Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Once Formally Accepted
- You will be contacted by the Executive Director. The purpose of this interview is for the Executive Director to get to know you, review expectations for the program, answer any questions you might have and to discuss your areas of interest for the internship.
- Register for U4C program classes at the appropriate time at your college.
- Register for financial aid as you normally would during the spring semester. Financial Aid usually covers both U4C classes and housing.
Do not register for room & board; there's no need for it. Remember, you'll be living in the U4C house!
*Please note: you will be responsible for checking registration dates and finacial aid due dates at the college where you attend.
Dates to remember
As a student, the only expense you pay directly to U4C is the non-refundable application deposit; which will be deducted from your housing costs at the beginning of the semester. Deposit amounts differ according to the date you submit your application and if you are applying for an urban studies major or minor.
Urban Studies Major
Urban Studies Minor
Spring 2017 Deadline — Minor*
December 9, 2016 (Regular)
Fall 2017 Deadline - Major/Minor*
December 9, 2016 (Early) April 7, 2017 (Regular)
Spring 2018 Deadline - Minor*
December 8, 2017 (Regular)
* In most cases 1 semester qualifies for a minor and 2 semesters qualifies for a major