"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!’” - Matthew 25:21.
The goal of the internship is to utilize the gifts and abilities that God has given you while giving you access to all levels of operations and management of the church or non-profit that your are serving.
Designed to integrate and reinforce skills and concepts discussed in the classroom, your internship provides practical experience for you in how a local ministry or non-profit organization functions. It will be a powerful way for you to bridge your classroom education with the ‘real world.' You will meet weekly with the Executive Director discussing strategic planning, human relations, fundraising, public relations, and the like. You will get to sit in on board meetings and talk with senior management as well as work with the clients they serve. Expect to spend six to ten hours a week at your internship.
U4C students have served at a variety of nonprofit organizations, including Hope Academy, Arrive Ministries, Urban Ventures, St. Stephen's Housing Association and St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Thinking of becoming an internship site?
To meet the goals of the internship program, internship sites should provide a quality, professional learning experience. To that end, U4C asks that internship sites complete the following:
- Develop a learning agreement with the student during the first week of each semester outlining weekly schedule, service projects and work related duties and mutually agreed upon outcomes for the internship;
- The Executive Director of your organization will spend at least 45 minutes each week with your U4C intern discussing organizational issues, using our annual curriculum outline, providing feedback and mentoring;
- Complete an end of the semester evaluation of the U4C intern and the overall program in a timely manner;
- Submit the learning agreement and end of the semester evaluation in a timely manner, as well as signing weekly time sheets; and,
- Attend meetings with U4C as needed.
For more information on any of the information covered, or to ask a question, please contact the Executive Director of U4C, Andrea Scharmer at 651-246-6565 or via email.